Skip to main content

The Pantheon in Rome

They say that the Pantheon in Rome is an architectural marvel.  How is it still standing today?

The most important problem the Romans faced during the construction of the Pantheon was the massive weight of the large dome. In order to support it without proper reinforcement as it is common today, the thickness of the walls gradually decreased as the height increased. The Romans also used a different type of concrete for the dome as for the walls. 

The dome is over 140 feet tall! 

At the top of the dome is a large opening, the oculus, which was the only source of light. 

What happens when it rains?  I heard that water only comes through the opening if it is a direct downpour.  There is an area on the floor that is roped off and there are drains to catch any water that comes in.

Rome and London 2012 386

Michelangelo felt it was the work of angels, not men.

Pantheon comes from two Greek words pan, "everything" and teon "divine". 
Originally, the Pantheon was a small temple dedicated to all Roman gods. and was built between 27 and 25 B.C.

After being destroyed by fire once and thirty years later, being hit by lightening (and catching fire again), it was rebuilt in its present shape.

“Where it stands was not chosen by chance, but is a legendary place in the city's history. According to Roman legend, it is the place where the founder of Rome, Romulus, at his death was seized by an eagle and taken off into the skies with the Gods.”  source

The Pantheon now contains the tombs of the famous artist Raphael and of several Italian Kings.

Seriously. this thing was built more than 1800 years ago!

This is what the front of it looks like.


Rome and London 2012 379

Wow, this Rome trip is turning out to be pretty darn amazing!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upcycled Domino Tile Pendant Necklace

My metals/jewelry making class that I am taking has inspired to create some really cute upcycled/recycled tile art necklaces .  I was at the thrift shop last month and I picked up this tin full of Dora the Explorer domino type pieces.  They were in great shape and made of a nice heavy filled plastic/resin with white on one side and Dora characters on the other side.  I sat them aside until this past weekend when I thought – I need to do something with those cute little pieces.  By nature, I’m a big recycler.  I love taking something old and making it new.  I’ve seen these necklaces all over Etsy so I thought I would give it a try.  So, while hubby was out and about, I plopped down at the kitchen table and began creating. I had already downloaded a few art sheets specifically designed for domino size pieces from Etsy (these sheets are really inexpensive). You don’t have to use these, I just chose to.  Leading up to this project, I had already bought jewelry bales, jump rings, and c

Spring Mantel Nook; Trash to Treasure

I have been jealous of all the cute spring mantels popping up lately.  So last night, I went to the thrift shop and started looking for treasures to turn my mantel into something special. You see, I have more than a mantel, I have a nook …..a deep alcove to house a television.  The problem – I didn’t like the TV being up that high…so, I have a nook. What’s in my nook?  Take a look Tall glass jar – thrift shop.  Eggs that are inside are treasured eggs that the girls made when they were little. Chalkboard plate – just made it today!  I bought the white plate at Target on clearance and used chalk board spray paint. Little picture above the plate – thrift shop! Little dragon fly candle holder – thrift shop. Topiary – something I already owned. White candle stick – it used to be gold and I spray painted it antique white.  It was another thrift shop find. Little clay chick tea light candle holder –you guessed it, thrift shop. All the bottles are thrift sh

Chalk Painted Dresser–Aged Barn Wood

I have been collecting furniture in the garage and it was requested that I start doing something with them or else!  Since I wasn't sure what “or else” meant exactly, I started my first project this weekend :) I have been following many blogs that re-do furniture and everyone has their own way of doing things, their own favorite brands, products, and tools.  I tried to take a little something from each blog to come up with something that works for me.  I thought I would share with you the steps I took to get a beat up Bassett dresser from drab to fab! So here’s the down and dirty: Painted using Behr flat in one of those new sample size containers.  I used two coats of homemade chalk paint (added 2 tablespoons of unsanded tile grout diluted in hot water to 1 cup of paint). I noticed the paint seemed to get thicker as I applied each coat so I added little bits of water here and there to thin out the paint a little. This seemed to do the trick. The chalk paint dries super fast