Skip to main content

If at First You Don’t Succeed…Rogue Motorcycle Screenprint

Had I only taken pictures of my first failure, then my second failure, you would have been able to see the principle of “if at first you don’t succeed” in pictures!  Oh well, maybe next time, because I’m sure there will be more to come! 

I first screened this bag with black ink…with the motorcycle image, but it didn’t turn out.  I figured out what happened and then corrected it. 

Next, I screened it with white ink. I think my ink was a little too think, because it didn’t provide full coverage.  Attempt and failure number two!

Third times a charm!  I then decided to try red ink over top – I love the color red!  Again, same problem…it did not provide full coverage.  But, when I lifted the screen up, it had a whole new look and I absolutely loved it!  It looked rather artsy.  It had a certain kind of look to it – a rogue look. 

So, I added the word ROGUE to give it a more finished look. 

Wow, this makes me feel really artsy :) 

screenprinting 012

Vintage Motorcycle image is courtesy of The Graphics Fairy

screenprinting 013

I like projects where there is no such thing as “messing up.”  As a matter of fact, I like projects where messing up is allowed and encouraged! 

Linking up to:

DIY Showoff
Embracing Change
The 36th Ave
A Little Knick Knack
Rooted In Thyme
At The Picket Fence
My Repurposed Life
Ladybird Ln
Five Days, 5 Ways
French Country Cottage
52 Mantels
The Crafted Sparrow
Live, Laugh Rowe


Jennifer M. said…
Hey, that works pretty well! That's actually how newspapers still print things today - one screen at a time, each in a different color.
Great job I think it looks very vintage-y.
Very cool! I love when mistakes turn out to be genius :) I'm learning about silk screen printing in my production methods class right now- I'd love to see your printer and how the process works!
very artsy/cool bag! there's no failing in what we do, right? Just a change of plans!
The bag turned out so good, love it! Thanks for sharing on Simple & Sweet Fridays. Hope you come back again.
New Follower.


Popular posts from this blog

Upcycled Domino Tile Pendant Necklace

My metals/jewelry making class that I am taking has inspired to create some really cute upcycled/recycled tile art necklaces .  I was at the thrift shop last month and I picked up this tin full of Dora the Explorer domino type pieces.  They were in great shape and made of a nice heavy filled plastic/resin with white on one side and Dora characters on the other side.  I sat them aside until this past weekend when I thought – I need to do something with those cute little pieces.  By nature, I’m a big recycler.  I love taking something old and making it new.  I’ve seen these necklaces all over Etsy so I thought I would give it a try.  So, while hubby was out and about, I plopped down at the kitchen table and began creating. I had already downloaded a few art sheets specifically designed for domino size pieces from Etsy (these sheets are really inexpensive). You don’t have to use these, I just chose to.  Leading up to this project, I had already bought jewelry bales, jump rings, and c

Spring Mantel Nook; Trash to Treasure

I have been jealous of all the cute spring mantels popping up lately.  So last night, I went to the thrift shop and started looking for treasures to turn my mantel into something special. You see, I have more than a mantel, I have a nook …..a deep alcove to house a television.  The problem – I didn’t like the TV being up that high…so, I have a nook. What’s in my nook?  Take a look Tall glass jar – thrift shop.  Eggs that are inside are treasured eggs that the girls made when they were little. Chalkboard plate – just made it today!  I bought the white plate at Target on clearance and used chalk board spray paint. Little picture above the plate – thrift shop! Little dragon fly candle holder – thrift shop. Topiary – something I already owned. White candle stick – it used to be gold and I spray painted it antique white.  It was another thrift shop find. Little clay chick tea light candle holder –you guessed it, thrift shop. All the bottles are thrift sh

Chalk Painted Dresser–Aged Barn Wood

I have been collecting furniture in the garage and it was requested that I start doing something with them or else!  Since I wasn't sure what “or else” meant exactly, I started my first project this weekend :) I have been following many blogs that re-do furniture and everyone has their own way of doing things, their own favorite brands, products, and tools.  I tried to take a little something from each blog to come up with something that works for me.  I thought I would share with you the steps I took to get a beat up Bassett dresser from drab to fab! So here’s the down and dirty: Painted using Behr flat in one of those new sample size containers.  I used two coats of homemade chalk paint (added 2 tablespoons of unsanded tile grout diluted in hot water to 1 cup of paint). I noticed the paint seemed to get thicker as I applied each coat so I added little bits of water here and there to thin out the paint a little. This seemed to do the trick. The chalk paint dries super fast